San Joaquin County is a culturally rich and diverse community. The County houses a myriad of ethnically, socially, and spiritually diverse populations and individuals.
Culture includes language, a variety of rituals, shared experience, and shared beliefs, which may include physical and/or emotional challenges. Culture involves every aspect of an individual’s life including their world view.
San Joaquin County Behavioral Health Services’ mission is to provide culturally sensitive and relevant prevention, diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional problems. The agency is committed to continuous learning: proactive education of the community; reduction of mental illness stigma; and, elimination of language and cultural barriers in the entire treatment continuum.
San Joaquin County Behavioral Health Services achieves Cultural Competence in the following ways:
* Respect and Value culture in our service delivery
* Empower individuals, community, and employees
* Have service providers whose culture parallels that of the community that we serve
* Continue to develop sensitivity to cultures other than our own
* Continue to educate ourselves about the values and practices of cultures in our community
* Utilizing Community-Based Cultural Organizations as partners in service delivery, education, and outreach
In these ways we can most effectively work with all those that we serve to assist them in their recovery.