Animal Services
Dog Licensing
Dog License
Pet Licensing

Why do I have to license my dog?
County Ordinance 6-1005 requires that all dogs over the age of 4 months be licensed if they are kept within the unincorporated area of the County for ten (10) days or longer. This license is to ensure that the dog has a current rabies vaccination. It also gives Animal Services Agencies a way to identify the owner of an impounded animal so they can get the animal back home.

How do I get a license?
You must have a copy of a current rabies vaccination certificate from a licensed veterinarian that is good for at least one year. You can come to the Animal Services office located at 2101 E. Earhart Ave. Stockton, CA or visit one of the licensing facilities listed on the licensing locations page. You may also print the license application located on our website and mail the fees along with the required documentation listed on the application to 7000 Michael Canlis Blvd. French Camp, CA 95231.

My dog was licensed in another city or county. Do I need a new license in San Joaquin County?
A license is not required for any dog which has a current license from another city or county if vaccinated against rabies as required. This only applies only to dogs brought into the unincorporated area of the county from another jurisdiction.

My dog always stays in my house. Does it still have to be licensed?
Yes. All dogs over the age of four months, regardless if they never leave the yard, must be licensed. You would be surprised how many animals are impounded every month and the owner says, “But it has never been out before!”

Do cats need a license?
Cats are not required to be licensed if you reside in the unincorporated area of San Joaquin County.

Where can I get a rabies vaccination for my pet?
Look under Veterinarian or Veterinary in the phone book or go online to any Veterinarian in your local area. Most of the licensing locations also provide vaccinations. Please contact them directly for pricing and additional information.


What is a microchip and should I get one for my dog?

The microchip is a tiny computer chip which has an identification number programmed into it and is encapsulated within a bio-compatible material. The whole device is small enough to fit inside a hypodermic needle and can be simply injected under the skin of your pet, where it will stay for the life of the animal. This provides a permanent, positive identification which cannot be lost, altered or intentionally removed - a safe, simple and inexpensive way to protect your pet against loss or theft.

The City of Stockton Animal Shelter offers AVID (American Veterinary Identification Devices) a microchip that, when implanted, includes nation-wide registration. Many of your local veterinarians also offer this service and can provide you with additional information and pricing.

I have a problem with stray or feral cats. What can I do?
In San Joaquin County, cats are recognized as free-roaming animals, regardless of whether they are owned or stray or whether they are friendly or feral. Unlike dogs, cats may roam freely throughout the county, are not required to be on a leash, and do not need to be confined on the owner’s property. To prevent stray cats from overrunning your property, from being a nuisance and from constantly breeding, you may pick them up and confine them in an enclosure (such as a cardboard cat carrier, sturdy box with a lid and holes for ventilation or a cat crate/carrier) if they are friendly and bring them to the Stockton Animal Shelter. If they are aggressive or timid, we highly recommend trapping them in a humane manner. The San Joaquin County Animal Services does offer rental traps or you may purchase a humane cat trap at a local hardware store. Animal Services will not pick up cats that have been contained or trapped. You may surrender an owned or stray cat at the Stockton Animal Shelter. The Shelter is open Monday through Friday from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm and 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm on Saturdays.

Is it legal for an owner to chain up his/her dog?
Health and Safety Code 122335(b) No person shall tether, fasten, chain, tie, or restrain a dog, or cause a dog to be tethered, fastened, chained, tied, or restrained, to a dog house, tree, fence, or any other stationary object.
A person may:
(1) Attach a dog to a running line, pulley, or trolley system. A dog shall not be tethered to the running line, pulley, or trolley system by means of a choke collar or pinch collar.
(2) Tether, fasten, chain, tie, or otherwise restrain a dog pursuant to the requirements of a camping or recreational area.
(3) Tether, fasten, chain, or tie a dog no longer than is necessary for the person to complete a temporary task that requires the dog to be restrained for a reasonable period.

What can a neighbor do about a barking dog?
Per San Joaquin County Ordinance 6-1021 - No person shall keep or permit to remain on any premises within the County of San Joaquin any dog which continuously and incessantly barks at any time during the day or night to the disturbance of any other person. Continuous and incessant barking is defined as frequent barking for a period of ten (10) minutes or more duration, which disturbs the peace of another person, including howling, crying, baying or making any other noise, provided that at the time of the complaint no person or persons were trespassing or threatening to trespass upon the private property of the owner or person in custody or control of the dog, or the dog was not being teased or provoked in any manner.

If at all possible, we recommend speaking to the owner of the dog before contacting Animal Services. You may also want to speak to your neighbors and see if they have had the same problem as you do. We advise that you keep a written log so that you can document the times and duration of the barking along with any contacts that you have had with the animal owner or Animal Services regarding the problem.

If the dog owner is unwilling to take preventative action and the nuisance continues, contact Animal Services at (209)953-6073. Animal Services will mail a formal notice to the animal owner advising them to take preventative action to stop the nuisance barking. If the barking has not subsided within a reasonable period of time a second notice will be mailed. If additional reports are received after the second notice, Animal Services will make a physical visit and inspection at the animal owner’s residence to further assist the reporting party and animal owner in preventing further nuisance to the neighborhood.

How many dogs or cats am I allowed to have at my residence?
Per the San Joaquin County Ordinance, Development Title 9-1045.2 you may have up to 3 dogs and 3 cats if you reside in a single family residence. Contact Animal Services at (209)953-6073 if you have additional questions.

Does Animal Services trap or relocate wildlife?
Animal Services does not trap or relocate healthy wildlife. Because relocation violates federal law and the only option is extermination, we cannot in good conscience, exterminate healthy, viable animals. San Joaquin County has an abundant population of wildlife, whereby, residents must learn to cohabitate in order to preserve the natural conditions and habitats of this region. A citizen seeking alternatives may try one of the following options:
Look in the Yellow Pages under Pest Control Services for wildlife removal services. A snake Serpentarium can assist with snake removal and there are numerous pest control services that will assist with removal of smaller rodents, squirrels, rats and mice.

Am I allowed to have poultry or livestock if I reside in the unincorporated area of San Joaquin County?
This is largely dependent on where in the county you live, the size of your parcel and the residential zoning of your parcel. It is regulated by the Development Title of the San Joaquin County Ordinance. Before purchasing livestock or poultry contact Community Development at (209)468-2193.

Who Do I Call

Deceased animals on the freeway/highway – Call Cal Trans at (209)948-7556. For all other deceased animals in the unincorporated areas of the county contact Animal Services at (209)953-6073.

Lost or Found Dogs – Call Animal Services to report lost or found animals-(209)953-6073. Check with the Stockton Animal Shelter at 1575 S. Lincoln Street, Stockton, CA to see if an animal was picked up. You may also look at their website to view photographs of found animals or animals available for adoption.

Barking Dogs, Licensing questions and Rabies Control – Call Animal Services at (209)953-6073.

Bite Report Inquiries – Call Animal Services at (209)953-6073

Bats – Calls San Joaquin County Animal Services for Service, (209)953-6070 – Bats are a high risk and known carrier of rabies. Do not use your bare hands to place in a container. Has any human or animals had contact with the bat? Where was the bat located, inside or outside? Is the bat dead or alive? If possible, cover the bat with a can or a box, keep animals and humans away from it and contact us immediately. If you are reporting an infestation, please check the Yellow Pages under Pest Control where you will find specific services for the removal of bats.

Bee Problems – Animal Services does not handle issues concerning bees, wasps, rats, mice or similar creatures. Contact a professional pest control expert for assistance. Call Animal Services for further questions at (209)953-6073.

Calls for service in the unincorporated area of San Joaquin County – (209)953-6070.

Home   |   Legal and Privacy Information   |   Employee Access Only   |   Webmaster