- No blood tests are required
- One does not have to be a California resident to marry in California
- There is no waiting period between receipt of a marriage license and the ceremony
- No particular format for a marriage ceremony is required
- First cousins may marry in California
- Only unmarried persons may purchase a license to marry in California
- If in a State Registered Domestic Partnership and marriage will be to someone other than the registered domestic partner, the domestic partnership must first be terminated.
- "Common-Law" marriage and marriage by "Proxy" are not allowed in California
- Public Marriage: $64.00
- Confidential Marriage: $73.00
Marriage Licenses can be obtained from the Recorder-County Clerk Office. For more information about marriage licenses please visit Recorder-County Clerk Marriage License Page
The Recorder's Office also serves as Registrar of Vital Statistics. This means that every birth, marriage, and death record dating back to 1851 is "of record" in the San Joaquin County Recorder's Office. A certified copy of a license or certificate that has already been issued may be obtained for a statutory charge.
Effective January 1, 2010 only specific individuals can receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a birth, death, or marriage record. Those not meeting the criteria for an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY may receive an INFORMATIONAL COPY with the words INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY imprinted across the face of the copy. An AUTHORIZED copy of a birth record is required to obtain a driver's license, passport, social security card and other services related to an individual's identity. An AUTHORIZED copy of a death record may be required to obtain death benefits.
||$23.00 Click here for the application (En Español)
||$16.00 Click here for the application (En Español)
|Marriage Certificate:||$14.00 Click here for the application
If your marriage license was Confidential or you need further information, please call (209) 468-3939.
Find more information please visit the Recorder-County Clerk Birth / Death / Marriage Certificate Copies Page.
Drivers License my be renewed or applied for at a Department of Motor Vehicle Office. Select an Office from the list below to find an address, services provided, hours of operation, and current wait times.
For more information about drivers licenses please visit the Department of Motor Vehicles Site
Please check with the city you are starting the business in, as well as with appropriate federal, state, and government organizations, to be sure you obtain all of the required licenses and permits.
How to obtain a Permit or License in the County
How to obtain a Permit or License in the City