skip repetetive navigational links to main content Home |  Search |  Departments

Banner: Welcome to San Joaquin County, California, USA filler

   Solid Waste Home Page

   How do I recycle or
   properly dispose of...

   A guide for recycling and
  disposal options for various
  materials in San Joaquin.

    Deputy Director – Engineering
    Michael Selling
    1810 East Hazelton Avenue
    Stockton, CA  95205
    (209) 468-3000 Phone
    (209) 468-2999 Fax

    Landfill Information
    Refuse Collection
    Hazardous Waste Facility
    Recycling & Proper Disposal
    Construction & Demolition
    Hazardous Materials
    Organics Programs
    Master Gardener Program
    Business Accounts
Business Hazardous Waste
    Landscape Mgmt Program
    Ag Plastic Recycling
    Recycled Materials

SJC - Green in Practice
    Green at Home
    Green at Work
    Green at School
    Green in the Garden

    SJC Ordinance
    Brochures, Forms & Media
    Kids' Korner




Pressure Treated Lumber Proper Disposal Locations
serving Stockton, Tracy, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Lathrop, Escalon and San Joaquin County

How do I recycle or properly dispose of...

Pressure treated lumber contains hazardous chemicals that act as a wood preservative used primarily for building outdoor structures. Different compounds that pressure treated wood is subjected to include fungicides, insecticides, miticides, and sporicides to protect wood and is applied by pressure methods to wood and lumber products.

Pressure treated wood and posts can not be thrown in the trash.  These materials must be disposed of in special landfills that are designed for this type of hazardous material. 

There is NO COST for San Joaquin County residents to drop off these materials at the  HHW Facility  for proper disposal.


Where Can I Take This Material For Proper Disposal?

Residents of San Joaquin County can utilize the following resources to properly dispose of pressure treated wood:

San Joaquin Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Residents may take pressure treated wood (total load to HHW cannot exceed 125 pounds per trip) to San Joaquin County's Household hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility for proper disposal.  Click on the "HHW Facility" link below or call (209) 468-5670  for more information.

North County Recycling Center & Sanitary Landfill
Residents  (self-haul customers) of San Joaquin County may take preservative or pressure treated wood to the North County Recycling Center and Sanitary Landfill from Monday through Friday, from opening until 2:00p.m. ONLY!  Gate fees apply.  Treated wood must be cut into lengths of 5 feet or less and must be separated from other materials in the load.  Customers with large loads should call North County prior to delivery for details and conditions. 

Allied Waste
Persons with pressure treated wood for disposal may also contact Allied Waste at (209) 466-4482 for bin services.  These bins of treated wood are hauled off and disposed of at Forward Landfill.  The public may not deliver wastes directly to Forward Landfill as this facility only services commercial customers.

San Joaquin Household Hazardous Waste Facility
Businesses must deliver these materials to designated landfill sites or contact a hazardous material hauler to dispose of large quantities of pressure treated lumber or posts.  Businesses may take small quantities (total load to HHW cannot exceed 125 pounds per trip) of these materials at the San Joaquin County's Household Hazardous Waste facility (HHW) for a fee.  Click on the "Small Business HHW" link below or call (209) 468-5670 for more information.


Household Hazardous Waste

Small Business

Household Hazardous Waste
Small Business


San Joaquin County Department of Public Works
Solid Waste Division

Last updated 05/26/2011


Contact Webmaster |  Site Index |  Traduzca esta paginación |  Legal and Privacy Information
© San Joaquin County 2002