The Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ),
a program of CalRecycle, provides low
interest loans and marketing assistance to businesses that process
recyclable materials or use them in their products. The County of San
Joaquin, including its seven cities, comprises one zone. RMDZ offers
information on sustainability for all San Joaquin County businesses through
programs such as Green Team San Joaquin, the Green Sustainable Business
Certification, green.edu, and Buy Local, Buy Green.
San Joaquin County is one of 40 designated
recycling market development zones within California. The RMDZ program,
developed by CalRecycle, works with local jurisdiction to help them meet
their 50 percent landfill diversion goals.
San Joaquin County RMDZ Mission
To divert significant quantities of recovered resources from San Joaquin
County's landfills by stimulating usage of recycled materials by
manufacturers by helping create local markets for recyclables and products made
from recyclable materials.
What is RMDZ?
- A three-way partnership between your business, local
government, and CalRecycle.
- A nexus of local landfill diversion and economic
- Loosely modeled after federal and state Enterprise Zones.
- A program that gives you a competitive edge.
What RMDZ Does for You
- Low interest loan program up to $2 million.
- Active business development.
- Increased demand for collected materials, not just
RMDZ Key Benefits That Work
- Local, continuous and increasing demand for materials
diverted from landfills.
- Industrial jobs and tax revenues.
- Net reduction in transportation costs to get materials to
- Goes beyond "Command and Control" aspects of AB 939.
Who are the Players?
- The Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce, Zone Administrator.
- San Joaquin County Department of Public Works, Solid Waste
- CalRecycle and Business Assistance Staff.
- Technical Assistance Division: technical assistance and
program liaisons to zone administrators.
- Loan divisions pre-screening and processing of loan
- Pivotal link between CalRecycle and recycling-based business.
- "Local sales office" for the program.
- Competent, motivated processors and manufacturers willing
to initiate or expand use of recycled feedstock.
- Usually the biggest risk, take in an RMDZ loan deal.
Our thanks to Greater Stockton Chamber of Commerce for the