Surplus Furniture and Equipment
San Joaquin County Purchasing (SJCO Purchasing) has partnered with The Public Group (Public Surplus) and GovDeals to process all useable furniture and equipment that has been deemed surplus by a County department.
SJCO Purchasing and Public Surplus have developed a three tier system and surplus items will be offered as follows:
- Tier 1 -offered to County departments free of charge for a short period of time.
- Tier 2 – offered to non-profit organizations for a short period of time for a small dollar amount.
- Tier 3 – opens up for auction with bids placed by the general public and all funds going back to the General Fund with exception to the Enterprise Funds (funds will be deposited in the enterprise fund for those departments).
SJCO Purchasing also utilizes GovDeals auction site www.govdeals.com. There is no tier system for GovDeals.
County departments wishing to surplus any item(s), please follow the steps below:
- Department Head or designee must approve that the item(s) are no longer needed by the department.
- Item(s) must be in good condition. Broken items should be recycled into the dumpster or into a metal recycle bin. Electronic items should be recycled by contacting Purchasing to schedule an e-wastepickup.
- Item(s) are to remain with the department until disposition can be made. The County does not have a storage location specified for surplus property.
- Request(s) are to be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
NOTE: Request Form(s) can be found on the Intranet website under e-forms/Purchasing
- Department Name.
- Sub-department name when applicable.
- Address of surplus property including floor and room number.
- Contact name and phone number, plus alternate number if possible.
- A list of surplus items with accurate description including size, weight, condition, age, quantity and model number(s) where applicable, approximate value or value when new.
- At least one digital photo of each item, if possible.
- Asset number if item is worth more than $1,000.
- Indicate if the asset is still on the inventory list.
- Hours of operation for pick up purposes.
- Deadline – at a minimum must allow 3-4 weeks total from request date. Department may have to keep the item(s) for up to a month until a new home is found.
- For County employee’s authorized by their Department Head or designee to view and request surplus for their department from the Public Surplus website, must email an authorized request form to email@example.com. (Approval Request Form can be found on the Purchasing and Support Services Intranet website
. Purchasing will contact you with login information.